Thursday 28 May 2015

Collecting

This entry is a summary of my various collecting obsessions, I will hopefully go into more detail of each of these in the future.

Firstly, I must say that the world is split into two types of people, those that understand collecting and those that don't. If you don't then you will probably think I am crazy, like most of my family.

Why do I collect? It's an interesting question which I find hard to answer. I am a natural hoarder which I think is a big factor (is collecting just channelled hoarding?). I think I like the hunt, trying to find unusual and interesting things, on a subject I'm interested in, and then owning it. Although I am not so obsessed as to spend silly money, it's not a case of must have.

I have various collections, most of which are related to each other in some way.

Also, each of my collections is routed in my early years.

Collection 1, also my main obsession: Anything J R R Tolkien related. As my previous blog entry on Reading explained, my Tolkien obsession came first from reading the Hobbit and then Lord Of The Rings. You will be surprised at how big the world of Tolkien collecting can be.

Collections 2, 3 and 4 also stem from reading.

Collection 2: Anything Terry Pratchett/Discworld related. My second favourite author. There is quite a lot of Pratchett stuff to collect but it is nowhere near as big as Tolkien.

Collection 3: The works of author Sheri Tepper. My third favourite author. This collection is not big in scope as it is only books, but my collection is quite comprehensive.

Collection 4: Fantasy books. A very wide subject, although my definition of Fantasy (hopefully a future blog entry) limits it a bit. Note: I also have quite a few Sci-Fi books, but this is just some additional books I have accumulated, so I lump these in with my Fantasy collection.

Collection 5: Board Games. This again is also a huge subject area, so my collection is limited to a few sub areas a; board games from my early nerdy years (and variations on some of these), b; Fantasy based board games, a spin off from my fantasy book collection, c; Horse Racing based board games, because my work is horse racing based, d; Golf based board games, I'm not really sure why!

Collection 6: Home computing/gaming. This is not actually a real collection as I don't seek out things to add too it. It is mainly an accumulation of the old games/home computing bits and pieces I have had, although there are quite a few. Again it's roots are in my early nerdy years.

Collection 7: Model Trains. Similarly this is also more an accumulation sparked from my early years. I haven't developed or pursued this collection since a very early interest, I have just sporadically added to it. I would like to develop this more but really need some space for it, maybe when/if the children leave home.

Collection 8: McDonalds Happy Meal Toys. This don't actively add to this collection any more. I was interested in it whilst I was a keen car boot sale goer. I do however have my collection, in storage.

Collection 9: Puzzles. Not Jigsaw puzzles, but physical challenges like Rubics Cube. Again this is a collection I haven't actively added to for a while.

To go with my Fantasy books and board games, I also have a few other Fantasy bits, Videos and Records etc, but these are not big enough to be considered collections.

I also have a reasonable Stamp collection, but this is just left over from my youth, so I don't really include it.

At this point I must say that my collections are currently in storage as I have any room to display them, a future aspiration.

Am I obsessive? Maybe, but none of my collections is all consuming, most of them I just add too as I come across stuff. I think I am more of a hoarder than an obsessive collector.

No comments:

Post a Comment