Monday 31 August 2015

Collecting Tolkien Theme - Bakshi Movie

I have gradually built up a reasonable collection of stuff related to the Bakshi Lord of the Rings movie from the 70's. The film itself is not that good and I didn't see the movie when it was released, but it is a part of the Tolkien world and I have managed to obtain quite a bit of stuff.

Total Items: 62 (sets counted as one item)

One of the best Tolkien collectables I have is a hand drawn film still from the movie, it features of Gandalf.


I also have a 2 versions of 35mm cinema trailers of the movie.


And of course I have a few copies of the film itself. A collectors DVD boxed set, a collectors VHS boxed set, 2 VHS versions, a Betamax version, 2 DVD versions.


I have quite a bit of promotional stuff. 2 rare character stand ups (Gandalf and Frodo). A fan club membership pack. Some postcards. Some black and white prints. A large set of colour prints. Some fliers. A couple of promotional posters.


I have a few Bakshi themed books. There is a single volume Lord of the Rings with a film themed cover. There is a hardback book of the movie. There is a paperback book of the movie.


As detailed in my Tolkien Board Games blog entry, I have a few Bakshi related board games. A Bakshi themed version of SPI's War of the Ring (and a Moves magazine featuring the game on the cover), a family game called The Lord of the Rings and a kids Recall game.


Also part of another of my favourite Tolkien areas are 3 LPs from the film, 
a single LP, a double picture disk LP and a promo 12in single disco performance by the Argon Ballroom Orchestra. I don't have the promo only movie theme single.


Of the 11 Royal Doulton figurines, I have 5 (unfortunately none of the rarer ones). I also don't have the rare stand.


I have 5 movie character badges, although I am missing a Gandalf one.


I also have various large Posters of the movie.


I even have a couple of sets of sheet music from the film, one for a jazz band and one for marching band.


I have 2 Bakshi themed calendars, one from 1979 and one from 1980.


My collection also includes various Jigsaw puzzles. There is a set of 5 movie stills boxed puzzles, which are quite rare, a boxed movie poster puzzle and a tray movie still puzzle.


I have 3 boxed sets of Bakshi metal war game figures by Grenadier.


I have various magazines, which feature the Bakshi movie either on the cover and/or contain articles. These include:
- Rolling Stone #283 Jan 1979
- Fantasia #3 Mar/Apr 1988
- The Electric Company Magazine Mar 1979
Look In #35 25/8/1979
Fantasy Films Feb 1979
- Starburst #11
- Fantasy Media vol1no2 Jun-Jul 1979
Warren Presents Lord of the Rings #1 (1979)


and also a figures painting guide




No comments:

Post a Comment