Tuesday 22 December 2015

Collecting Tolkien - Calendars

The first Tolkien items I actually started collecting were the Tolkien Calendars.

There is a brilliant website all about Tolkien Calendars:
http://www.tolkiencalendars.com

As usual this area can be very big (just look at the above website). For each year, apart from the official calendars, there are all sorts of others, such as foreign calendars, society calendars, variations, promotional etc. There are also varying conditions of the calendar i.e does it have a corresponding mailer envelope (these often have the same styling as the calendar itself), is it sealed, has it been written in etc. My collection mainly consists of the official UK calendars, mostly not in mailers.

Total Items: 89

The first Calendar I had was the 1991 John Howe illustrated. I think this was a Christmas present.

Following this I have each years UK calendar since.

I have also obtained all the calendars back to the first official one published in 1973, a total of 43.

Most of the official calendars feature a specific artist for the year. My favourite calendar is the 1992 centenary calendar which has images by my favourite Tolkien artist, Ted Nasmith.

I have mailers for the following years: 75, 76, 78, 87, 88, 90, 91, 94, 95, 96

Some years the official Tolkien calendars in America were different to the UK. I have a few of these.

In 1979 and 1980 there were also calendars for the Lord of the Rings Bakshi movie, which I have.

Following the first Lord of the Rings film, in 2001, I have movie calendars (Lord of the Rings and Hobbit) for each year since. I also have various thin movie calendars, a couple of movie promo calendars and a couple of American movie calendars.

I also have the following odd other calendars:
1992 Hildebrandt calendar, featuring some Tolkien pictures.
2003 Hildebrandt Tolkien Artwork Postcard Calendar, which include 13 detachable postcards.
2004 Hobbit calendar.
2017 Maps of Middle Earth (small)

have 4 or 5 Tolkien related diaries, including quite a rare one for 1979.

No comments:

Post a Comment